Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bulldogs bitten...

It's the most wonderful time of the year...yeah I know we're a long ways from Christmas, but to any basketball fan it's true. March Madness, it just doesn't get any better than this. 3 1/2 teams from the great state of Indiana and two from Oregon. These two hoop heads will be busy this week. IU, Butler, Purdue, Notre Dame (the afore mentioned 1/2 team), Portland State, and Oregon all in the tourney that mercifully finally begins this Thursday. Time to break out the lucky pen and start filling out brackets, but before I do this let's look at the "home" teams. Purdue gets a well deserved 6 seed and should advance against a resurgent and very game Baylor team, the Hoosiers end up the dreaded 8 seed facing a tough and athletic Arkansas squad, and Notre Dame gets the biggest Cinderella in tournament history, George Mason. Look out Irish. Chicagoans everywhere will mourn their early exit. The Vikings of Portland State are welcomed to their first Dance by 1 seed Kansas. A 16 seed has to win sometime, right? And KU is prone to upsets. Somehow, the Ducks make it as an 9 seed, and could get hot and make a run...or get run, which is more likely by a very good Mississippi State team. And then there are the Butler Bulldogs. This team is 29-3 and winner of both the Horizon League regular season and tournament titles only to get screwed by the committee and end up a 7 seed. Not horrible until you see that they play South Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama. This makes absolutely no sense. The 'Dogs have a great tourney pedigree, matched only by fellow mid-major Gonzaga. Drake, yes the same team Butler beat a month ago is a 5 seed. The 7 seed is bad enough, but to have to play what amounts to an away game, is a travesty. And their reward if they do win, a probable date with 2 seed Tennessee, which by the way, is my sleeper team this year. Well, no use cryin' over spilt milk. A great tournament awaits us, let's hope we are represented well and that the Bulldogs will avenge this snub with a nice little run. So, Boiler Up, Let's Go IU, Go Vikes, Go Ducks, and whatever the hell the Golden Domers say. BRRS!!!

the Dude

5 comments:

NAPTOWN said...

so i made a mistake, butler did lose to drake, my fault.

the Dude

Kate said...

I'm going to show my colors here, but go MVC!!! (Yeah, I know.)

I still think that Butler can pull through - more than any other Indiana team I really feel like they show more fight and more granite in the tournament. And an 8 seed for IU? Give me a break - thought they'd pull higher than that. And wait...Notre Dame has a basketball team???

On this coast, good luck Viks, I'll pull for you over UO any day. And wait...they have a basketball team too??? PSU never fails to surprise me a little bit.

Kate said...

Hey, when do games start again? Must finish brackets before...(again showing my colors, I should know better.) You know, other than tearing up when little Mrs. Hulman says "Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!" this is the one time of the year when I really feel like a Hoosier. And I don't even know when the tournament starts.

NAPTOWN said...

tourney starts thursday morning. good luck.

Kate said...

My god but my brackets look like something out of the early 90s.