Monday, April 28, 2008

Offense, Offense, and More Offense

Well another draft day, or should I say weekend, passes and what did we get? More offense. I may be wrong about this, but aren't we a pretty damn good offensive team. Isn't our weakness, the defense. That being said, Bill Polian is probably the smartest man in the NFL, and he usually does us right, as the Zoo pointed out. But three o-linemen, a running back, and more receivers. Geesh. Half those players probably won't even make the team. Still on the board in the third round was Antoine Cromartie's (yes, he of 4 picks against Peyton) little brother, who by all accounts is more gifted than his big bro. That's just down right scary. And were we even looking to trade for Jason Taylor? I understand he's getting older and has a huge contract, but imagine the pass rush we could put on with him and Freeney. Once again, scary. But that's why Polian builds championship caliber teams year after year, and I huck cases of wine around day after day. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
And now back to the NBA playoffs. I can't remember a time with more parity and excitement. Probably not in my lifetime to be honest. I don't like him as much as the next guy, but Kobe is unreal. We just may be watching one of the best ever. It pains me to say that, but I think it's true. And man would I love to see KG get a ring. He may be my favorite player of all time (sorry Reg). His game is out of control and he plays with such passion and fire (take note Big Boring Duncan). This is definitely his best, if not last shot. The only thing detracting from this years run for the title is the absurd amount of flopping going on. Pay attention Ginobli, and the whole Spurs team for that matter, you're making the game worse. I heard Kim Jung Stern on the Dan Patrick show the other week, and when asked what he thought about all of the flopping going on, he astounded me with his answer. He wants to possibly suspend players for egregious flops that effect the outcome of the game. I, for one, think it's a great idea. Flopping is basically cheating. The refereeing in he NBA, however lame you think it is, is incredibly difficult. And to deliberately trick the officials into thinking you were fouled is cheating, no other way around it. As much of a soccer fan as I am, it's the worst part of that game, and it's snuck it's way into the NBA. I can't actually believe I'm saying this but, go for it dictator, I mean commish.

the Dude

No comments: